QUALIFICATIONS FOR LICENSE:
- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older.
- Applicant must not be ineligible to carry a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g).
- Applicant can be revoked under 18 USG 922(d) - this means under indictment
for a felony
- Applicant must not have been committed to a state or federal facility for abuse of
a controlled substance or convicted of a misdemeanor relating to a controlled
substance within a 3 year period preceding the date the application was
- Applicant must not have chronically and habitually used alcoholic beverages and
must not have had two or more DUI convictions within a 3 year period preceding
the date the application was submitted
- Applicant must demonstrate competence with a firearm and have met the training
requirements stated in WV Code 61-7-4.
- Applicant must not have been adjudicated as incompetent and must not have
been involuntarily committed to a mental institution
- Has not been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Applicant must not have any felony convictions
Restrictions On Carrying A Concealed Firearm Or Other Deadly
Weapons By Qualified License Holders:
A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon MAY NOT be carried in the following
- Police Station or Sheriff's Office
- Detention facility, prison or jail
- Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom, or court proceeding or any building that houses
a court of law or the offices of a family law master)
- Federal government property
- It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any firearm or any other deadly weapon on
any school bus as defined in section one, article one, chapter seventeen-a of this code,
or in or on any public or private primary or secondary education building, structure,
facility or grounds thereof where secondary vocational education programs are
conducted or at any school-sponsored function.
- Areas within airport where restricted access is controlled by inspection of person or
- Any place where the carrying of a firearm is prohibited by federal law
- Any private property where posted or prohibited
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS THE LICENSE FEE? Seventy-five dollars at the time of application. Fifteen
dollars plus any fees for reduction/lamination or photo ID at the time of approval.
(WV Retired Deputy Sheriffs, Conservation Officers, State Police and Municipal Police
Officers are exempt from the payment for the Concealed Pistol/Revolver License
following the date of their retirement.)
WHAT IS THE RENEWAL FEE? The same as the application fee for each five year
HOW LONG IS THE LICENSE VALID? Five years from the date of issuance.
IS THERE A FINE IF I DO NOT HAVE MY CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE IN MY
POSSESSION AND AM CARRYING A PISTOL? Yes, failure on the part of the license
holder to have in his/her possession the license when carrying a concealed firearm
shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction of shall be fined not less than fifty
or more than two hundred dollars for each offense.
WHAT WEAPONS ARE COVERED UNDER THIS PERMIT? A pistol or revolver
I HAVE RECENTLY MOVED, HOW DO I NOTIFY THE SHERIFF OF MY NEW
ADDRESS? Within 30 days after the change of permanent address, you must fill out a
form at your county Sheriff's Office. You must have already changed your address on
your driver's license. A fee of $5.00 will be charged for change of address and
HOW CAN I FIND A CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR FOR THE REQUIRED TRAINING
CLASS? Contact the local Sheriff's Office and they will have a listing of instructors in
the area. A recommendation for instructors will not be made, only the list will be
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE AFTER I APPLY FOR MY LICENSE? By state law, the
Sheriff, has 45 days to issue the permit or notify you of denial, in writing, and the reason
for denial. If you are denied, you have 30 days to appeal the Sheriff's decision in the
circuit court of the county in which the application was made, a petition seeking review
of the denial.
Who To Contact
Application can be made in person at the Hampshire County Sheriff's Office. You may
call our office and speak with Carolyn. She will be happy to assist you with any further
questions that you may have.
PHONE: (304) 822-3894
FAX: (304) 822-8494